Monday 25 March 2013

Review: Fantasia (1940)


Fantasia is a bit of a strange one for me. I remember loving the Mickey Mouse sequence when I was younger but also being terrified by some sections of it. However all these years later I can appreciate what a real masterpiece this film is, especially on the recent Blu-ray which features a stunning picture and audio transfer. The sheer existence of this film is impressive, and the history of its creation by Walt Disney and company is a fascinating piece of cinema history. Each of the segments are really impressive works of art in their own way but my main problem with the film is that there is just so much of it! I’ve never seen the second film but at 72 minutes it seems as though it may be a lot easier to consume than this 2 hour long behemoth. It would be great to see Walt’s legacy of Fantasia continue someday; perhaps through short films before main feature presentations. Oh and the final number Night on Bald Mountain is as scary today as it was to me when I was 7 years old, powerful stuff!

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment